Lifeguard Training Course
In 1914, Commodore Wilbert E. Longfellow started the American Red Cross Life Saving Corps in order to reduce the number of lives lost as a result of drowning. Aquatic Training & Consulting Service is a proud to continue this tradition of creating safe aquatic environments as an authorized provider of American Red Cross Lifeguard Training courses. Each year, ATCS certifies hundreds of lifeguards by offering courses not only in Washington Metropolitan Area but also around the world.
Lifeguard candidates must be at least 15 years old and demonstrate strong swimming skills. Course participants learn what it takes to be a professional lifeguard:
- • Job Responsibilities
- • Patron Surveillance Skills
- • Rescue Skills
- • First Aid and CPR/AED Skills
To participate in the Lifeguarding course, you must be able to demonstrate the following skills on the first day of the course in order to continue in the training:
- • Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 1. 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either to the side or to the front.
- 2. 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick, and glide sequence.
- 3. 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
- • Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 - 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
Upon successful completion of the Lifeguarding course, each participant will receive an American Red Cross Universal Certificate indicating Lifeguarding/First Aid, which is valid for 2 years, and an American Red Cross Universal Certificate indicating CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, which is valid for 2 year.
Policies and Procedures
On-Site Lifeguard Training
Course Registration Form
Full classes are listed first. Recertification classes will need to scroll to bottom of screen.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Class (Full Class) $225
American Red Cross Recertification Blended Learning Course (On-line Pre-Course Work Required) $125 does not include $35 ARC Fee
||Frederick County, MD - Hood College Indoor Pool, 401 Rosemont Avenue Frederick MD
American Red Cross Challenge & Review Course (No On-Line Course Work) $150